Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blog #8 - Face-To-Face Class Meeting Oct. 24

I did appreciate the information presented by Roberta Rowe and Dr. Kevin Torosian.  Much of the information they presented included situations I have dealt with  as an administrator.  The area of ed code and the required documentation is so important- it was nice to be able to ask clarifying questions to ensure we are in compliance.  It is always helpful to hear about updates to various laws and practices to ensure we are all in compliance and operating within those policies and laws. I also liked the hand-outs provided by both of the speakers, they are great resources to use in the future.

The effective meeting management information presented by Dr. Hauser was very informative and offered practices I can implement immediately at my school site.  I really appreciate the tools presented and shared that would allow me to make our meetings much more effective and relevant to everyone.  We are always talking about working smarter not harder and this is a perfect example of how to do exactly that.  It was also beneficial to talk with other educators (from other districts) and get various perspectives on meetings and practices used in their districts.

On the negative side, I would recommend we find a way to have classes during the week - many of us use the weekends to get our homework done and we get behind when we are in class all day Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. Christy,
    I agree. Dr. Hauser's meeting design is something that can be implemented immediately and does allow us to work smarter not harder. I also enjoyed Dr. Torosian's discipline presentation with the scenario because it allowed us to practice our knowledge of the education code. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy,
    I love how you wrote work smarter, not harder because that is spot on. Sometimes we think we are doing just that and lose sight of what really needs to happen. I agree that Dr. Hauser's information on effective meetings could be taken immediately and applied at our sites. I'm not in an administrative role to utilize what she said yet, but I know you are. I would love to hear how you take what she said and utilize it at your site. I too appreciated Roberta Rowe and Kevin Torosian's presentations. I think we all need reviews of such important information especially since times are so different now and ever changing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy,

    I also enjoyed the information from the weekend, but could have used the Saturday to finish a lot of work. I agree with importance of using the things Dr. Hauser gave us to get the most out of the meetings in an effective manner. Time is like money and we don't want to waste a dime of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy:
    I agree with you about the importance of running effective meetings that we learned about from Dr. Hauser. What a great hands on activity and training session! Great post!

    ReplyDelete