Saturday, October 15, 2011

Leadership Connector - Trust

I know I state this every post, but I really like this book.  I think it is a great book and very helpful for  up and coming administrators, but really, these principles can be applied to any field, job, and even our own personal lives! 

I like the point the author makes about how it takes time to build trust and yet in some cases it can be destroyed in seconds!  That's the tough part, but this point also reinforces the importance of being conscious  about how we  interact with our staff, students and parents.  In the section on perceived betrayal there are some suggestions to avoid betrayal and perceived betrayal and they are:  Never talk negatively about anyone, think before you open your mouth, listen more than you speak, be positive rather than negative, stay away from negative people, their problems, messes and ugliness.  I think those are GREAT points in which to be guided by, especially when thinking about the statement above that it takes time to build trust and seconds to destroy.

As if it is not hard/bad enough to lose someone's trust but then to know that the likelihood of ever regaining that trust is "unlikely".  This adds a whole new level to the importance and focus we must place on trust if we want to be an effective leader.  As I take this information and apply it to my own role as a leader, I know the area I need to consciously think about is the "perceived betrayal"...the point of getting busy and unconsciously doing something that someone perceives as a betrayal... that is where I need to slow down and consciously be aware of what my actions and words are conveying.  This was a great chapter which provided tools and suggestions to improve my leadership skills and overall relationships!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this chapter too Steph! Thanks for reminding me that we need to remind ourselves daily to slow down and make smart decisions because those betrayals are almost impossible to ever repair. Something to really think about from the beginning. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I was reflecting on too many readings and I called you Steph Christy...I'm sorry about that! Too much going on. This is not betrayal...I promise! Please forgive me. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy,
    You are so right about slowing down...I think we all get into what we are doing at times and in-deliberately may do something that we don't know and it can be perceived as something different. I think that is where sometimes our actions speak louder than words. We are in a profession where we are being observed all the time by staff, parents, and students. It is important for us to make sure that we respond and act appropriately.
    Thank you for another great post!

    ReplyDelete